View Single Post
Old 19-03-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-383
Was that from revving it to 7000 and dropping the clutch??
No - I don't do that to my cars. I don't even pull handbrakes or do burnouts......but I do however overservice them.

The engine mounts and cv boots and driveshaft issues were all wear and tear items on my car.

I found that the 1989 model 2.2L AT TX5 Ghia was a stronger car than the 1993 2.5L AX2 Tx5 Ghia (I owned both). The 2.5L engine was very good for the time but some had several issues like sticky valves etc, which creates a pretty bad tapping noise. Some also start to blow a little bit of smoke here and there around the 180k mark. Mine had a pretty mean rocker cover dribble too - but it wasnt really that bad on oil.

Other comments I've heard is that the manual gearbox is the same as the 4 cyl, and can have a habit of going. Luckily I never experienced this. The car can be a bit of a pain to work on yourself too - the engine bay is very tight and from memory the oil fitler is in a stupid location.

Anyway, Mitchay had one too I believe (athough his profile shows an AT?) send him a PM, he might have had a different experience.

It was a good car - I just found it a little too fragile for me towards the end of it all.

Last edited by Dave_au; 19-03-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote