View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #244
risben

Some really funny reading here. My turn - this happened recently:

Two months ago my partners mother was complaining about the rear end bottoming out when she went over bumps. Me, being the caring buttsuck that I am, said "Go buy shocks, I'll install 'em for you". A week later, shocks arrive, no problems, jack the car up (with a hydraulic), pull a shock out, to the vice, push-pull-push-pull, find it's well and truly gone, etc., etc.... I look over to the far wall and see a set of what looks like some heavier springs. Methinks, "the car's already up... whack'em in, see if they fit." Pull out the old spring, measure them - 1 1/2 inches shorter, but heavier, same diameter, no problem.
I go to put one in - it's too short to sit in the cup, so I put my head over the rear wheel so I can make sure the spring seats properly... as I lower the jack..
I can tell you, the rear end of an EA is even harder to lift by hand when your heads caught between the rear wheel and the arch! Screaming like a ******, I was stuck under the car for a good full minute, holding it up so my neck wasn't crushed, until my partner reached me and managed to jack the car up.

What made matters worse was that I had to explain to her how the use the jack with my head still under it, panicking to the sh!thouse!

78 Cortina project - 4.1 5 speed, 350 Holley, Extractors:
to do: fit gearbox, air conditioning, roadworthy & rego

83 XE Falcon in stock rust trim, pre-compliance LPG, PB 390km/62l

B.Arts(Latrobe), PGradDip CompSci(Latrobe), Cert IV Basic Electronics(BRIT), B.Beer(Latrobe), M.Bullsh!t(Ford Forums)
risben is offline   Reply With Quote