View Single Post
Old 27-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #87
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I just hope I'm not hit by any of these uninsured juggernauts!!

Every car I've owned has had insurance. Nice cars have always had full comprehensive and the shitters have always had at least third party property damage, fire and theft.

My claims history is:
1981. Damage to my own car after hitting a tree stump (Driving like a ******** in my Toyota)
1985. Payout from vehicle theft, car never recovered (XA GT. Hope the crooks all died of **** cancer)
1993. Damage to my car caused by thieves, car stolen and recovered (TX3 Laser. Probably some worthless junkie)
1997. Total loss write-off, no fault (XC GXL cleaned up by ******** in a Hiace van, coppers charged him).

In all that's plenty of money that would have been down the gurgler if I hadn't had insurance. At any time there was no way I could have found the money myself to have self-insured at any of these occurrences.

I've paid out plenty in insurance premiums over 25 years of driving and it could be argued by some that had I just saved that money and wore my damage claims I'd be a mile in front and could have self-insured. Who has the discipline to put aside $X amount per pay and never touch it until something comes up?? I know I haven't, I can barely keep to a budget!!!!

Imagine if you were uninsured and you manage to wipe out a Ferrari?? You'd be instantly bankrupt unless your name was Kerry Packer or just insanely rich.

Anyone who drives around uninsured is crazy!! If you can't afford it then you can't afford to run a car. Get a car you can afford to run or get off the road.

Both my BA XR6 and XC Coupe are fully insured.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.